The Bag Means Your Mind

A delightful mix of insightful comments and ignorant assumptions about screenwriting... and such.

Friday, June 23, 2006

Voices

“I’m not good enough.”
“I was foolish to think I could do it.”
“This won’t interest anyone.”
“You’re a hack.”

As you may have guessed, these aren’t cornfield ghosts begging me to build an athletic field. This is the voice I call Evil Tom, and at times, the Force is with him. This is one of those times. The further I get into a project, the stronger the voice becomes. I have to fight through it, and tell Evil Tom that he is a no-good-doody-head*. I’m struggling through this outlining process. I don’t have the faith that a solution will present itself and that I will figure out how to organize my story into a tight, well crafted script.

I have to tell myself that a solution will present itself, and that my script will be good enough. And while I battle Evil Tom in Act II of Tom: A Life Less Mangled, I must believe that he will eventually be sucked up by a jet engine after our grueling sword fight on the rain-swept tarmac of Philadelphia International Airport, so that I can move into Act III, head held high and hopefully enjoy a lengthy epilogue the critics will find melodramatic and preachy.

This is not a blog post as much as a diary entry. And though it seems it, I’m not looking for people to tell me things will be all right. I know that I will get through it and finish my script and be happy with it. Then the process will start over and Evil Tom will come back again and again to haunt me.

I think I will take up fencing.


* He doesn’t like being called a no-good-doody-head, and tells me I’m a hack for using such a juvenile term. Better writers would think of something interesting.

5 Comments:

  • At 3:54 PM, Blogger L.R. Williams said…

    "No-good-doody-head"? Ypu're not a hack, but is that the best you can come up with? I've gotta straighten you out, Crymes!

     
  • At 11:05 PM, Blogger Systemaddict said…

    You need both sides to the coin. So long as you've got the support, whether or not its internal or external, then you can beat Evil Tom into a sniveling lil bitch...that's right!

     
  • At 4:49 PM, Blogger Ryan Rasmussen said…

    Would that be foil, epee, or saber? Choose wisely.

     
  • At 9:37 PM, Blogger aggiebrett said…

    Claymore.
    .
    .
    .
    B

     
  • At 9:44 AM, Blogger Thomas Crymes said…

    My intel has revealed that Evil Tom has a machine gun. I may have to rethink the whole melee weapon thing.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home