The Bag Means Your Mind

A delightful mix of insightful comments and ignorant assumptions about screenwriting... and such.

Saturday, February 02, 2008

Quarter-Finalist!

Lately I've been battling through a mild case of divorce, a stink bug infestation, and the stupidity involved with wrecking* my convertible so it's nice to be able to pat myself on the back and recognize that brighter futures lie ahead.

I just found out that I made it to the quarter-finals of the American Zoetrope screenplay competition. This marks the third time I've received recognition for my work on Win (the first two being top 15% in Nicholl and top 10% (2nd rounder) at Austin). It feels good to have the external affirmation that I'm on the right path. It also lets me know that Win lacks something required to get it to the next level. I've known about its deficiencies for awhile, and I'm certain I can remedy them in a future draft.

It's about time I get out of my non-writing funk and start dispensing nouns and verbs in a more meaningful way. Life has thrown some curveballs my way, but that's no excuse to step out of the batter's box.

Time to swing away.


* Ok, so that's a bit of an exaggeration. It's not wrecked, but bashed enough to be towed to a car infirmary for the better part of a month.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

  • At 10:43 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said…

    Nice! Congrats!

    Now slow the hell down!

     
  • At 4:03 AM, Blogger Tavis said…

    Are you going to enter any contests this year? I know BlueCat and Scriptapalooza are coming up.

     
  • At 10:40 AM, Blogger Thomas Crymes said…

    In early Jan I entered a "Set in Philadelphia" screenplay competition. Other than that I'm probably just going to send out to the three again.

    I've heard so so things about both BlueCat and Scriptapalooza

     
  • At 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sweet!

     
  • At 11:30 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said…

    I'm gonna blanket some competitions this year with my script Union, #1 on my list is Austin at least, where I'm predicting it will make a finalist, if not win the whole damn thing.

    I've sent script after script to Set In Philly and each time they tell me to go screw myself.

     
  • At 11:34 PM, Blogger Thomas Crymes said…

    You need to include a crisp new Benjamin in with the script if you want serious consideration.

     
  • At 5:51 PM, Blogger Mystery Man said…

    Congrats, man! That's awesome!

    -MM

     
  • At 7:01 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said…

    Da strike be over!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home