The Bag Means Your Mind

A delightful mix of insightful comments and ignorant assumptions about screenwriting... and such.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Dear Shakespear: Part 2

That punch in the face I wrote about? Yeah, that one. It turned out to be a gentle tussling of the hair. A week after my post I received an e-mail from Greg Beal. Not a personal one asking me, in teary prose, why I hate America, but a form letter that is sent out to the Nicholl entrants who were in the top percentages but missed the cut.

I'm not super needy (maybe just plain needy), but it was nice to get some external validation that I was at least heading in the right direction. My script was in the top 15%. That means that it graded anywhere from 506th to 757th out of 5050 scripts. Since I have no way of knowing where my script actually fell, I'll just assume the higher end of the spectrum*.

While I won't be screaming "I'm, at best, 506th!" from the top of the tallest midget in the circus, I will take this bit of encouragement, put it in my pocket and move on. When I'm down and convinced I can't write a cogent sentence, I'll take it out and remind myself that I'm on my way to better things.


*Higher meaning closer to 506 then 757.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • At 11:54 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said…

    Nice! Rock on with yo bad self.

     
  • At 4:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Got the same email(top 10%) to days ago...

    We are awesome!!!

     
  • At 10:13 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said…

    Aaron Coffman got the same letter, turns out. You guys just kick ass!

     
  • At 6:45 PM, Blogger aggiebrett said…

    Very cool, man. I've never even managed one of those "close but no banana" notes, and I maintain that this years bizarre news is just some sick twisted joke.
    .
    .
    .
    B

     
  • At 7:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bro, go my first option, 35 against 550 on same scritp that was tip 10%. Guess I won't never be a fellow, but I will be in the biz. Wish you the same luck.

    No worries, I will aboslutely not forget about you from looking down from up top.

    (getting me a new truck no matter what! :-))

     

Post a Comment

<< Home