The Bag Means Your Mind

A delightful mix of insightful comments and ignorant assumptions about screenwriting... and such.

Thursday, July 03, 2008

Seven Songs: Yet Another Meme

Ryan tagged me on this. It's an interesting meme in that music has become more a part of my life in the past months. This is due in no small part to a video game called Rock Band. I sing vocals in the "band" I play in on the game along with 2 of my friends (drummer and guitarist). My singing voice isn't great, but it isn't bad either and the game has really honed my pipes to an extent. As a result I've taken quite a liking to songs that really speak to me that I can also sing decently. Sometimes the lyrics speak to me, sometimes it's how the notes resonate through me.

I've been a fan of Coldplay for a long time, and especially lately with their new album. So without further adieu, my seven songs:

Amsterdam by Coldplay. At first I didn't like this song much, but I revisited it a few months ago and it just took off. The song is slow for the most part, but really picks up and digs in at the end.

"Stuck on the end of this ball and chain.
I'm on my way back down again.
Stood on the bridge tied to the noose
sick to the stomach.
Say what you mean
but it won't change a sin.
I'm sick of the secrets.
Stood on the edge tied to the noose.
You came along and you cut me loose."



Lucky Man by The Verve. If Amsterdam is 1, this is 1A. I discovered this a month or two ago. It is from The Verve's one and only album (a new one hits in August) Urban Hymns. You might remember the hit Bitter Sweet Symphony that came from it. Lucky Man is something special.



Warning Sign by Coldplay. The lyrics don't really call to me or reflect anything in my life, but the feeling in Chris Martin's voice combined with the piano when he sings "But the truth is ... I miss you." it really resonates. Perhaps because the bittersweet speaks to me more than anything else in this world.



Lost? by Coldplay. My favorite from their new album. The acoustic is the better of the two versions methinks, but it's really a toss up. Again the lyrics don't speak to me, but I find myself continually singing and re-singing the line "Oooh I'm waiting till the shine wears off."



Space and Time by The Verve. This is another one where the lyrics don't mean much to me. Hell, I might even passionately disagree with the philosophy behind the words, but I can't argue with how the notes just echo within.



Jumper by Third Eye Blind. I like the emotion in this song, and it's not of the typical in love/out of love fare. It's about a love so deep that you'd sacrifice a relationship if it meant saving a life.



Learn to Fly by Foo Fighters. Probably my favorite song to sing in Rock Band.




Bonus Track:

I'm Going to Go Back There Someday by The Great Gonzo. This song is deeper and more heartfelt than a song from a kids movie has a right to be, and it has a wonderful line:

"There's not a word yet
for old friends who just met."

It echoes my bittersweet nature perfectly.




So there it is (like you even cared). I'll tag my buddy Pat with this one.

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • At 6:51 PM, Blogger MaryAn Batchellor said…

    Gonzo rocks.

     
  • At 11:10 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Rodio said…

    Good stuff, Crymes. I'll post a meme-reply. But I must comment...

    Amsterdam - Always loved, loved, loved that song. Also, Politik, A Rush Of Blood to The Head, the Scientist, and yes, Warning Sign from that album always get me.

    Lucky Man - Great tune. Haven't listened to this album in quite some time but I think there's one called Velet Morning as well as The Drugs Don't Work that I also dig.

    Lost? - My first fave of the album but I've moved on (still love it) to Lovers In Japan and Strawberry Swing. Overall, great, great album.

    Jumper - You know, 3rd Eye had a great debut album. Most of the tunes on here are solid. I also love God Of Wine, Losing A Whole Year and Mororcycle Drive-By.

    Nice post. I'll slap one together.

     
  • At 12:27 AM, Blogger L.R. Williams said…

    Let's see if I haven't forgotten how to do this...

    Amsterdam by Coldplay - (All-Timer) I've loved it since the first time I've heard it. The last part where it picks up after the build up makes it a masterpiece for me. Sparks runs a very close second - great acoustic work. Trouble & In My Place (the acoustic version on the B-sides) are brilliant as well.

    Lucky Man by The Verve - I admit I heard this song for the first time over this past weekend (thanks, Crymes) & it's a terrific song. I never got to listen to the album in part to my assumption of it being a "one-hit wonder", but now I'm curious. That'll teach me.

    Warning Sign by Coldplay - Like Crymes, this song has no bearing on my life. However, in my eyes, you can make a case for it being one of their best songs. Check out the Zach Braff movie "One Last Kiss" where it is used properly.

    Lost? - One of my faves (the acoustic is better), but my nod goes to Yes. Rodio is on the money with Lovers In Japan & Strawberry Swing. I'll toss in Violet Hill as well.

    Learn To Fly by Foo Fighters - This is a fun song that you can't help to bounce around to. And yes it's great on Rock Band!

     
  • At 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow - thanks for reminding me how much I loved that Gonzo song, Tom.

    Hope things are going well down there in PA.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home